Sunday, November 30, 2008

Connecting with T1

T1 is almost 9 - he loves transportation, science and technology - he's mechanically minded. We get along great - he's an awesome kid but we don't have much in common. I'm the one who can comfort him the best, can eventually get him to talk about something that's bothering him and the one he'll snuggle with. His interests are his Dad and Grandpa's interests. I'm happy to listen to him chat about stuff he likes but I have little to offer on those subjects. Totally by accident I found something we both like to do and can do together..... jigsaw puzzles.
I started to do one the other day - I don't think I've ever worked on a puzzle other than kid ones and I found it surprisingly relaxing and enjoyable. I spend a little time and there and have it set up on the dining room table so whoever walks by can pause and add a piece if they wish. I was sitting at the table last weekend and T1 came over and was watching over my shoulder, then he pulled up a chair and before we knew it we were hanging out trying to complete a puzzle that is pretty hard with lots of sky and ocean. Now he'll sit and I'll join him or he'll hunt me down in the house and announce proudly that he has added a piece or two. It's nice to just hang out with no screen or gadgets and do something so simple while feeling so together.




No comments: