Friday, November 14, 2008

Friday fun

I'm on day 3 of Jillian Michaels 30 day shred and feeling a little stiff and creaky so I didn't feel much inspiration for a craft/activity for today. Then I remembered that I wanted to try playful clay from MaryAnn Kohl's book Preschool Art.

1c baking soda

1/2c cornstarch

2/3c warm water (I added food colouring to the water)

Mix baking soda/cornstarch in a pan, add warm water - stir until smooth
Over medium heat bring to boil stirring until it resembles mashed potatoes.

Allow to cool on cutting board, then knead.



This dough keeps for several weeks in an airtight container but also air dries in a few hours and can then be painted. This is our plan, then I'll put a clear coat on top and glue a piece of felt to the bottom for a paper weight or sculpture depending on the finished result.



The dough has a nice smooth feel and I enjoyed manipulating it as much as T2. We chose to make patterns with Duplo, buttons and spools.




I am looking forward to us painting them when they are dry.



The pot below was made by me in 1976 when I was 3.5-4 years old. I have always loved it - especially the childish fingerprints forever embedded in it. I made it at preschool and for years it was on my parents' shelf until they brought it with them on their last visit. It now has pride of place in our china cabinet.




There was time for a little button threading

No comments: