Friday, November 7, 2008

I love to recycle

Last week I decided it was time to sort through all our crayons and take out all the broken and grungy ones. In the past I would have either thrown them away or done a melting crayon craft such as this. I peeled off the crayon paper and crammed in as many crayon pieces as I could into 2 molds - 1 a silicon muffin pan and the other an ice cube tray designed to make ice to fit in bottles of water (long and skinny, rather than cubes). I put the molds on a baking sheet and baked them at 200 degrees until completely melted. I cooled mine on the counter but if you're patient enough, it's best to let them cool in the oven so the colours stay more vibrant (they'll mix together when you move them when hot).











Daily Danny Blog has another method using cookie cutters which looks cool too - I plan to try that next. Inspired by a friend (Corie) I plan to add glitter to my next crayon batch.


These crayons are especially good for doing rubbings as they have a nice flat edge to them. We used them to do some leaf rubbings yesterday


No comments: