Friday, September 17, 2010

End of week three

I can't believe we have just completed our third week of homeschooling. I am just amazed by how well it has gone so far. I have never spent this much high quality time with them. I am theirs for table work time with zero interruptions and I think they respect my dedication even if they are not aware of it because they are so cooperative and eager to get on with their work and so far I have not needed to remind them that the work needs to be done or anything like that. T2 is usually harassing me before I am ready "when are we starting school?" and often remains at the table long after her work for the day is completed to hang out or colour while I finish up with T1.

Looking at the work completed so far - I know for sure we have accomplished more than they would have done in several weeks of public school. Both kids are retaining what they are learning and applying it to daily life. We have done lots of reading. T1 has read a large chunk of the material from the Ancient Egyptian shelves in our local library as well as other non-fiction he has gravitated towards. T2 and I have read 50 library books alone as well as many of the books we own. My homeschool log is full of work completed, activities, social opportunities an observations of self directed learning and still we spend the majority of our days relaxing and hanging out and unschooling.

Obviously our choice to HS was based on what we felt was best for our children. I hadn't thought much about how rewarding it would be. I feel so incredible right now because I am dedicated, less stressed than when dealing with making lunches, helping with homework, remembering which day is library/gym/pizza day, attempting to keep on top of the never ending pile of school mail, clock watching for drop off and pick up, battling for a decent parking space, worrying about T1's anxiety, the morning nagfest to get the kids out the door on time......

Our days are kind of like this....
I typically wake around 6:30-7 but spend as long as I can enjoying the silence before T2's feet hit the floor running with lots to tell me! She and I eat breakfast together with the radio blasting some get-up-and-get-moving tunes.
About an hour later thud thud thud - that's T1 who takes a while to shake off sleep. He now has time for a long shower to ease into the day followed by a leisurely breakfast while I do some chores/take a shower/make any necessary phone calls.
At about 10 when we start school (unless we have plans outside of the house), we gather around the dining room table and we set to work with drinks and snacks close by. We work through assorted subjects. I don't have set days for certain subjects - I decide based on the mood of the day. Most days both kids do some math and writing of some kind and whatever else I/we decide. For T1 I set a timer for 5 minutes and a starter sentence and he has to write as much as he can without worrying about spelling/grammar. I do this because he needs to allow his thoughts to flow freely. typically he makes less errors when he is not paying attention to those things.
T1 works until lunchtime but T finishes a little sooner and goes off to play while I help T1 with anything he is struggling with. Sometimes he will take a break and go practice his guitar or run outside with the dogs.
When lunch time rolls around we are usually done with our table work.
The afternoons allow for self directed learning, play, some screen time, reading, board games, puzzles, library or any other outings and playdates.
There are other days when we have an activity with our local HS group or appointments and then we work school around those commitments.
If T1 is becoming frustrated with something, we will save it for later when G is home and he'll offer another perspective which sometimes helps.

I love our HS life right now.
I just heard that the teacher T2 was supposed to have is pregnant and due in February. I am so happy for her but glad that we will not be facing a change of teacher during the school year : )

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

I'm thrilled it's going so well! I really believe it takes an amazing person to homeschool! You are an amazing mom!