Friday, March 8, 2013

A little science on Friday



After a busy morning at our local homeschool co-op and a much needed lunch, we did a couple simple experiments. The first wasn't overly successful but it was one I had been meaning to do for a while.

Place some milk on a plate and drop food colouring onto the milk. Then add a drop of dish soap. I realized afterwards that some people recommend dabbing the soap on with a Q-tip and we didn't, we used an empty syringe and maybe that was too much soap but here are our results....


The results we were hoping for were more like this



The other experiment we did was a variation on the baking soda and vinegar volcano that most people are familiar with. We have done that many times and enjoyed it but it's over so fast even if you repeat it a few times. I saw somewhere the idea (when I find the source that inspired me I'll add the link) of spreading baking soda on a plate or tray, mixing food colouring with vinegar and dropping the vinegar onto the baking soda to cause mini eruptions and it was way more fun.....



No comments: